Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Food...It's what's for dinner.

We like the chickpea cutlets from veganomicon around here.  I was reading somewhere how people are changing the spices and making minor tweaks to change the flavor.  I look at it as the cutlet can kind of be changed the way you can do chicken many ways.

So, I bought a bunch of broccoli on Saturday and didn't end up cooking it.  I had this recipe I wanted to try. 
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/broccoli_stir_fry_with_ginger_and_sesame/
I didnt think there was enough "sauce" to reduce, so I added more soy, broth, and sesame oil.  Then I got creative.  I added a little mirin, and sriracha.  Sriracha is great.  My "new" sauce reduced wonderfully and the broccoli was super yummy. 


I figured since that was kind of an Asian flavor, maybe I could "asify" my cutlets. 
Here is the chickpea cutlet recipe from PPK.com
http://www.theppk.com/2010/11/doublebatch-chickpea-cutlets/
I used sesame oil instead of EVOO, used 1/4 cup of mirin and 1/4 cup of veggie stock, grated ginger in place of the lemon, and did some space switching.  I used red pepper flakes, onion powder, eden organic's seaweed gomasio, and 1/8 t ground clovers.

I guess this is as good a place as any to let you know I dont measure ANYTHING.  Sometimes not even in baking! 

I did measure the cloves because I didn't want it to be overwhelming.  The flavors were pretty spot on, I think.  But, I don't think I used enough vital wheat gluten (remember I don't measure?).  The husband, from here on out to be referred to as "Mister" didn't like them.  I suspect the VWG was the reason.  I fried 1/2 and baked the other 1/2.  I think baking was better here.  It yielded a denser cutlet.

All in all I haven't been deviating from recipes for too long.  I think this was an overall success, and am excited to try my hand at it again.    

No comments:

Post a Comment