Tuesday, November 22, 2011

So I'm Sewing...Kinda.

Who is on pinterest?  I am!  I love it.  Its a place where you can easily loose several good hours.  Once I got really into it, I found this tutorial on how to make a hobo bag.  Actually I think the person who made it calls it a boho bag.  Who's right?  I'm not sure.  Id like to think me, however she is the one who can actually make the bag. 

This story begins before I became a pinterest fanatic.  Mister, the peanut and I went to the local and super famous pumpkin festival in Half Moon Bay a few weeks before Halloween.  They had A LOT of craft booths.  One woman had these cross-body(hobo) bags.  They were all Tye-dye.  Bleh.  Now while I am working on my crunchiness, I'm not ready to go that far into the hippie realm.  Not to mention they were being sold for something like $40.00.

When we got home I googled the bags.  I had to use nearly a billion different search terms to get what I wanted.  But I found it!  The only problem?  I hated all the patterns.

Epiphany.  I can make one.  Duh!  Because I'm sooo good at sewing.

I'm not good at sewing.  When I was 20, I make a pink terry cloth kangaroo halloween costume with my grandma.  Upon recent reflection, I think my grandma made the whole thing as I watched.  Sewing is hard.  Much harder than I thought it would be.

Any-who, back to pinterest, and the point of this post.  The hobo boho purse tutorial.  I'm very excited. I can do this. I'm going to make 500 of these purses, and sell them on Etsy.  Then I will be a real WAHM.

Here we are almost a month later, and I'm not done with the first one.  I took a crazy long time looking at fabric with my mom.  From now on she will be referred to as "The Bubbie".  I already have the material to make hobo boho bag #2.

The Bubbie used to sew a long time ago, but not any more.  However she is very crafty.  She has been making wreaths like crazy this month, but that's another post.  The Bubbie helped me uderstand the sewing terms in the tutorial.  She went with me and the peanut to Kinko's to enlarge the pattern.  She held my hand as I held the scissors to make the first fabric cut.  Scary! We started pinning it together.  Less scary.  I think she may have run off with the peanut at this point.

The Bubbie doesn't have a sewing machine.  Now we go to my grandma's house.  She does have a sewing machine.  I start sewing the bag up there on a Sunday.  I'm very jazzed about this.  Grandma says I can take the machine home!

I did a little bit the night I brought the sewing machine home.  Then NOTHING gets done for approximately 3 weeks.       

BUT, I've been working on it for the past two nights.  Hard.  Really. Hard. 

You might think that it's complete now.  After all, I'm writing a whole post about it. 
I'm not done.  I'd like to think I'll be done soon.  But I might not be finished for several weeks.  That's just the way it goes sometimes.  I think my Etsy dreams are on hold.  For now.

Do you ever take way longer than you think you ought to, to finish a project?
Tell me about it.
I'd love to know I'm not alone... 

No comments:

Post a Comment