Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Refried beans

1lb pinto beans
2t chili powder
1 1/2 t cumin
1t salt
3 cloves garlic chopped
1 yellow onion diced
1/2 jalapeño diced
Bacon fat
Reserved bean cooking liquid

So, after reading various directions on how to make refried beans, I decided I could do this easily. I always thought it would be really difficult or complex. Uh, not so much.

I soaked the beans for several hours. I'm not going to give an exact amount of time. Somewhere between two hours and overnight sounds good. Or really live on the edge and don't soak at all. You can do that with refried beans. Now rinse them really well, and put them in a pot and cover those pintos with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for a couple hours. I just do it until they start to get slightly mushy. See how rebellious I am?? I'm not bound by any clocks.

Once they are soft, you want to drain the water, BUT you want to keep it. Next I put a few tablespoons of the bacon fat into a cast iron skillet. Got it nice and hot. Then I added the spices, onion, garlic and jalapeño. Sauté it until its all nice and soft. Now add your pintos. And smash! Smash! Smash! Smash! Just like your might if you we're making mashed potatoes. I found I needed to a some of the cooking liquid to get the right consistency. And of course, that will vary based on your own personal preference. I like to leave a hint of chunk and fairly thick. Just add it a little at a time. I used a ladle. Now your done. See how easy that was? Yum.

I made these once before and they were the best refried beans I've ever had. I did my prep work tonight to make beans with my oven fajitas tomorrow for dinner. If I get really crazy, ill take pictures of this process and post them tomorrow.

Seriously, do yourself a favor and never buy canned refried beans again.

Your welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment