Sunday, December 4, 2011

I juice because I can.

I think that juicing is very cool.  I thought that long before I ever had one.  Before I knew about the benefits of juicing.   Before I had fresh juiced, juice!
We got a juicer about about 8 months ago.  Mister did all the research and decided the best one we could get for the a reasonable price was the Jay Kordich PowerGrind Pro.

Now, like with most things, all juicers are not created equal.  There are many different kinds with different features, and perhaps most importantly different price tags.  I could be wrong, as I haven't specifically looked into it...BUT I think some are as cheap as $100.  However, some are several thousand dollars.  That's a huge variance in price!    So, how do you decide which to buy?  Here is what I know...
Get one:
  • with the most powerful motor you can afford
  • that will juice leafy greens
  • that is easy to clean (and do it immediately after juicing)
  • which extracts the pulp
Okay, so I must be honest.  I hadn't actually juiced anything myself.  Of course, I've drank the juices Mister made.  Never though, had I made my own juicy concoction.  I think I was a little intimidated.
All that changed yesterday, because yesterday...I JUICED!!
And dare I say, I make better concoctions than Mister does.  I think it's like cooking, which I love AND I'm good at. 
So, here is a little looksie-loo at my juicing journey thus far.

Yesterday's Juice

2 quartered organic Fuji Apples
3 thin organic carrots
1 in piece organic peeled ginger
1 organic lemon

It was a little peppery, which I think came from the lemon.  I liked it.  You will probably like it.  The bubbie thought it was just okay (she doesn't like ginger).  The peanut took a few sips, which I think means she liked it too.  I didn't think the ginger was overwhelming, and I'm not a huge fan of it either. 
Please try and let me know what you think.

Today's Juice

4 Dino Kale leaves
2 Rainbow Chard leaves
2 quartered tomatoes
3 carrots
2 lemons with peel
1 clove garlic
3 stalks celery (I used the innermost stalks with all the leaves too)
1 Persian cucumber
Looks good, doesn't it?  Five a day the color way! Everything is organic, with the exception of the garlic and the carrots. 

This one was as good as a veggie green juice can be I guess.  I will say, the smell of the greens being juiced is not my favorite.  I couldn't really taste the garlic, and being that I LOVE garlic next time I might try two cloves.  To get the greens to go down, and not get stuck...I tore them in smallish pieces and looked down the juicer to see they cleared before I added something else.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions on juicing, juicers, and my recipes.

Happy Juicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment